So I’ve got a question. I want to start keeping my pubic hair groomed. Should I shave or wax my vagina? I have some friends who prefer to wax, but I know it can be very expensive and I’ve heard that it can be painful. What is the best way to go?
Both shaving and waxing have their advantages and disadvantages, and at the end of the day, it is a matter of personal choice. I personally prefer waxing.
Here are some of the pros and cons of each hair removal method:
Waxing – the pro’s:
- Waxing needs to be done less frequently than shaving, as the re-growth usually takes a few weeks to come back.
- Waxing generally gives you a smoother feel than shaving.
- The re-growth usually gets thinner after a while.
- You don’t have to deal with razor cuts or nicks.
Waxing – the cons:
- Waxing can be quite a painful experience, especially in the sensitive area between the outer labia and the inner labia.
- You have to let the hair grow back to a certain length before it can be waxed again.
- Waxing can be quite expensive (when done professionally at a salon).
- Waxing can cause ingrown hairs.
- You might get wax burns or scarring (although this is less likely if you have a good aesthetician).
Shaving – the pro’s:
- Shaving is much cheaper than waxing, and unlike waxing, can easily be done at home.
- You do not have to allow the hair to grow out to a certain length before shaving again (unlike with waxing).
- If shaving is done properly, ingrown hairs can be avoided.
Shaving – the cons:
- Shaving often leaves black / visible stubble.
- The re-growth appears within one to three days, and can be spiky and uncomfortable.
- The re-growth does not get thinner over time.
- If you are not careful, you might get nicks and cuts from shaving.
I’m only sixteen, but honestly, up until I found your website, I always thought that perhaps I had a labia minora deformity.
I thought there was something wrong with me and was afraid that it would affect my ability to have sex in the future (which I discovered it didn’t at all).
Thanks for making it clear that I’m not the odd one out! Also, I think young girls should be taught these things early on so that instead of freaking out like I did, they can know what’s going on down there and be happy with their bodies.
Great site! Thanks 😉
I have sagging labia (sorry that is the best way I can describe them but the picture will give you a better idea). It doesn’t cause physical discomfort except maybe riding a bike is slightly annoying.
I’ve had it sticking out ever since childhood and it became a serious insecurity in college when I started hearing guys make fun of girls who had it.
I have since done a lot of research online. I have learned that I am not abnormal in any way. It’s an ongoing effort but I’m a lot more confident. Personally I’m even starting to like how it looks!
Thanks for having the courage to submit, and congratulations on your progress in embracing your body!
I’m 15 years old and I’ve always been extremely self-conscious of my clitoris, which is about an inch long. I personally can’t stand to look at it.
I know the only reason I am a virgin is because I’m worried what guys will think about me. I’ve gone down and given hand jobs but I’ve never taken off my panties for a guy.
I have my hand over the very bottom of my vagina in all my moods and guys ALWAYS say my body is perfect. But what they don’t know is I’m hiding my long ugly clit.
But now I think I will have sex this weekend, because apparently LOTS of girls have it 😀 and the guys seem to dig it 😉
Do you have any advice for me?
Thank you for getting in touch. I have three pieces of advice for you:
- Don’t worry about the appearance of your clitoris. Different girls have different lengths of clitoris, all of which are within the normal range. The clitoris is the part of the female sexual organ with the most nerve endings in it (literally millions of them), and it is there for your pleasure. Girls who have larger clitorises often experiences more pleasure than those who don’t, due to the increased number of nerve endings.
- Only have sex if you are completely ready for it, both physically and emotionally, and if it is with someone you are comfortable with and sure about. Don’t make it an impulsive decision that you may later regret. You only lose your virginity once, and it should be a memorable and positive experience.
- If you are going to have sex, make sure that the guy uses a condom (or use a female condom yourself). While sex is fun and should be a positive experience, it can have consequences – you don’t want to get pregnant at this young age, nor do you want to catch some nasty disease.
As you can see my inner lips are not visible at all from outside unless i spread my outer lips open because my mons pubis is too fat. I am seriously considering mons pubis surgery to remove some fat by liposuction and make my inner lips show when I am standing upright. Does the mons pubis even serve any purpose?
The mons pubis (pubic mound) performs an important function by acting as a protective pad during sex. It also contains glands that release pheromones which are important in sexual attraction.
Based on your pictures, it looks like your mons pubis is within normal range. It is not uncommon for the labia minora (inner lips) to be hidden by the labia majora, and while you may have more cushioning than some women, there does not appear to be excessive fat in your mons pubis region.
While surgery is a matter of personal choice (and I would not dictate to anybody whether or not to ultimately go through with it), I would urge you to reflect carefully on your decision to get surgery in that area, and not to go ahead until you have done extensive soul-searching to decide whether it is really necessary.
I am 16 years old and I have meaty vagina lips. I am soooo insecure about them.
I felt that I could trust the guy that I lost my virginity to, but after we did it he didn’t speak to me and he told his friends how my vagina looked and how he didn’t like it that way blah blah blah.
My current boyfriend doesn’t judge me about them and he actually loves them.
It sounds like the guy you lost your virginity to was a complete jerk and and uninformed idiot. I’m sorry that your first sexual experience was negative. It is unfortunately too common for girls’ first sexual experiences to be less than what they hoped for, often due to the guy turning out to be a complete asshole.
That being said, it’s great to hear that your current boyfriend loves you as you are. He sounds like a great catch!
I wish you all the best going forward!
I have long vaginal lips, and I felt disgusted with it before I had sex.
READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY: The guys will not care. They will notice it and they will probably say something like, “Oh, you have long lips”… before they proceed to stuff you and eat you out.
My current sexual partner says he likes it; that it’s fun to play with.
As with any other “imperfection” you will blow it out of proportion when in reality it’s not a big deal at all. I don’t care what it looks like anymore. Don’t compare your body to the pornstar standard.
The average girl does not look a barbie doll, and the average male does not look like a ken barbie doll either. No one is perfect!
I wanted to make this submission to help others out there who are going through similar insecurities as those that I experienced.
Thank you for your lovely submission 🙂
I love your positive attitude towards life!
Thank you for what you are doing with this site. Thanks to you I am finally coming to terms with my labia. Please post this anonymously as I do not want to be recognised.
I am so happy to hear that you are embracing your body! Thank you for your lovely message of support and pictures (which I have posted anonymously, as is my policy unless requested otherwise).
I have always been insecure about my wrinkled vagina and feel that it doesn’t look normal. It all kinda looks mashed or fused together and I’m a bit worried and self-conscious that something is wrong. I am only 27 years old but the skin looks like it belongs to a much older woman. Not sure if this is relevant, but I am slightly overweight. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you for having the courage to make a submission. There is a very wide spectrum of “normal” for a woman’s genital anatomy and yours falls well within this. You have absolutely no cause for concern.
This picture of different types of labia illustrates the huge range of variations of vulva among different women. All of them are absolutely normal and beautiful in their uniqueness.
It is a pity that there is so much miseducation out there regarding what is normal when it comes to the female anatomy, both among women and men. This blog aims to change that and to spread the message that there is no single standard of “normality” when it comes to vulva and labia appearance among women.
Does your vulva / labia look similar to any in the collage? What unique traits and characteristics does yours have?